Thursday, October 1, 2009

DIY Removable Wall Decal & Planters

SO...I love wall decals. You know, the vinyl ones that say things or make your walls look like a forest. Like the ones here. But they're pretty expensive. I've been using clear contact paper for a lot of different crafts, and I thought I might be able to make my own decals. One problem. I have clear contact paper. All the other contact paper I've seen are primary colors or weird patterns.
So I looked around online and found a place that said that you could paint contact paper if you did it with acrylic paint. After trying it, I'm sure that a regular wall paint would work as well.



Like it?
It's my first one, so I think I can do even better next time, but I like it a lot! Here's how I did it.




Just cut off a long piece of contact paper and paint it your desired color.



Then trace your design on the backside and cut it out.
Peel off the backing and stick wherever you want on your wall. If it's not just right, peel it off and try again. :)

I also worked on a project that I had been thinking about for awhile this weekend. I took my old formula canisters (yes, I saved some. I just thought, "seriously! I am throwing so many of these away! I'm sure I could do something cool with them. They're containers for crying out loud)...so I took them and nailed a few holes in them. Spray painted them with chalkboard paint and transplanted a few of  my plants that needed to come inside from the sun room since it's getting cold. I'm very please with the results!

Without chalk


With Chalk! :)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Rad. ^_^

Sarah said...

Your picture of Elliot is accidentally caption "Elliot's and his microphone." Too many possessives. Also, how do I leave a comment in your box about how wicked awesome I am? There is nothing to click?

Other than these paltry concerns, your site is way cool.

Heather & Nathan said...

I love both projects. Great job chica!

Megan Gilmore said...

I fixed the possessives, but I'm not sure what you mean about leaving a comment in my box.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin