In addition to cloth diapers, you can also use cloth wipes. I'm not quite to that point yet, but I did make my own wipes yesterday, and they are working splendidly! Here's how:
10 squares high quality paper towel
1/2 cup water
3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Organic Coconut oil
5 drops each of lavender, geranium, and tea tree organic essential oils
- Cut paper towel in half, then fold those pieces in half.
- Stack cut & folded paper towel pieces on top of each other
- Melt coconut oil, by microwaving in a Pyrex measuring cup for 30 sec.
- Add water and essential oils
- Pour mixture over stack of paper towel, by pouring on all sides of the stack and allowing liquid to absorb through entire stack
- Place in recycled wipes container, tupperware or another airtight container
These wipes have been GREAT at removing everything gently from my son's bum. And the oils are soothing, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral. They're also very safe in this diluted form.
So the adventure continues on, but I think I'm about convinced that cloth is the way to go. I'm already saving money and not having to deal with trash cans with stinky diapers piling up that will later go in a land fill.