Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Excellencies of Light


Photo originally uploaded by klaus72 on 09/20/09 - Flickr


But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; for you once were not a people, but now you are the people of God; you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
- 1 Peter 2:9-10
 Have you ever known someone that just radiates light? That proclaims the truth, walks in freedom and lives in confidence because of the mercy and grace they have received?
1 Peter 2:10-11 is one of my favorite passages in Scripture. It refreshes my soul.
This past week has been rough. Physically. Emotionally. Rough. Nothing extraordinarily bad happened, and actually a lot of great things happened. But I found myself coming home last night stretched to my limit. Craving time for rest, artistic expression, family connection and a pervasive sense of serenity.
I don't know how this expresses itself, but my husband seems to intuitively know what questions to ask and how to communicate with me. I feel loved!
This warmth starts to creep over me and then...ooo! "Did I even ask him about his day?" I realize that while these craving needs are there in my stretched to the limit being, I often become myopically self-centered. Maybe it's because I don't feel like I have the energy to look any further, but regardless of the reason. It's still wrong.
Evan is a person that radiates light. He's not the most naturally vivacious person you'll ever meet, but when my little world starts to get dim, I come home and he's there. With a loving look and often a run to the store for my favorite snack. There is no one else that I would ever choose to light up my day with his love. And there is no one else that I would want to raise our son and demonstrate how to walk in the Lord's love and His ways. "This is my lover, this is my friend."
So I ask you again...Have you ever known someone that just radiates light? That proclaims the truth, walks in freedom and lives in confidence because of the mercy and grace they have received?
Tell them that you love them, express how grateful you are that they are in your lives. And who knows, maybe through God's power and grace, you can be that person for them too.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Dear Megan:

Your post made me cry, because you are this person for me! I love you, and I can't tell you how grateful I am that you are in my life. You are an example of both freedom and authenticity. God made the perfect choice for me when He made you my sister.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin