Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Seriously Now?!


There's this spot right above your nose and between your eyebrows, most of you probably don't notice it because it's smooth and flat and doesn't really serve a purpose in your day to day goings and comings and doings. My dad has had a crease in this flat spot for awhile now, and when he's in pain under stress, it becomes a deep crevice (sorry dad, but it's true). My husband's spot is flat and smooth for the most part, except for, you know, the occasionally manly stray eyebrow hair (sorry babe, but it's true). The last few days I have been massaging the life out of this spot, my forhead has been tense, even when I try to relax it. I think I'm doing fine and then I pass a window or mirror and see it.....THE CREASE!!! Seriously, now?! I am twenty five years old. I should have an alabaster brow and skin as smooth as porcelian. (I learned this from Anne Shirley, who was also disappointed with some skin issues at a young age.)
As I was manually trying to flatten my crease out in the car yesterday, my husband asked me if I wanted Botox (he was joking). I talked with my friend Jill at work today (she has a similar above-the-nose-should-be-smooth-but-crinkles-under-stress problem), and we both shared that this was not something that was controllable. Though it might be suggested that one can just stop....one (being me) cannot. It takes days for the crinkle to appear and days for it to leave. It is not controllable, it just happens.
Yes, sometimes I do get the most distorted look on my face when someone says something stupid, and yes, my face often contorts to unthinkable expressions, but this, my friends, is not that! This is plain and simple concentration and stress. The kind of stress that leads to botox suggestions, relaxation suggestions, and I'm sure a 63-year-old-Helen-Mirren-bikini-wearing-hot-mama picture is not in the future if I keep this up. (Seriously now?! You've all seen that right?!)
All of this to say, the crease is ridiculous!

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

3 comments:

Pater Familias said...

My dear, it is genetic. Resistance is futile. The crease will eventually become two creases. That's when everyone starts asking you why you are so intense. Welcome to the world of being my daughter.

Joni Gilmore said...

and so it begins.....
When it starts to seriously bother you, just remember - it's a rental!

Megan Gilmore said...

ha...it's not just the house. My home is actually usually a place where the tension eases a bit.
It's getting better already. This first week of school is just always really a doozy.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin