Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Young Professional

So...I'm a woman and young and a professional, and let's just say there are some struggles that come with that...particularly the young and woman pieces of that equation, but especially the young part. There are some verses that I memorized as a child or teenager that didn't really impact me much at that time, but carry great weight, conviction and encouragement now. 1 Timothy 4:12 is one of those.

"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity."

We had a speaker on campus this week that spoke on growth for a few days and one of the things he talked about what how God tests us to produce growth. I am tempted when challenged about my age or my experience to get defensive or discouraged, because those are things that I can't change about myself right now. I can build and I can grow, but that takes time.
Here's the thing. God didn't call me to title or money and frankly He didn't even call me to experience. He called me to build His kingdom on earth, to help people realize their value and worth, to fulfill their God-given potential and to be transformed from brokenness to wholeness because of the grace of Jesus Christ. To do that, I simply need to live life fully and freely, love fiercely, pursue purity, cultivate faith, and proclaim the excellencies of Him who called me out of darkness and into His marvelous light.
And THAT...that I can do at age 25 or 250 and every year in between, and I guarantee you, I will never be more fulfilled! So thank you for the test and thank you for the reminder that I have been given a spirit of power and greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin