Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I'm a Weirdo...


...but I think that's okay. About a year and a half ago, when my friend Kayla was trying to discretely apply some coconut oil that I gave her to a cold sore, a co-worker asked her what she was doing and she said that I told her that it would make her cold sore go away. The co-worker was skeptical, especially when Kayla mentioned that I grind my own flour too.
I still grind my own flour. I use coconut oil a WIDE array of household and beauty projects. I love tea! I'm learning more and more about herbs and essential oils and using them prolifically. I've abandoned tampons and pads and embraced the Diva Cup with excitement. I'm about to embark on a task of making my own essential oils and grinding soap nuts into a powder. Yes, that's right, I use a berry that grows on trees to do my laundry. To top it all off, I am now known for making my own deodorant. Yep!...I'm a weirdo. A green-making-my-footprint-smaller-patchouli-smelling-headband-wearing-tea-drinking-garden-growing hippie.
But don't be to quick to make assumptions about what that means. I'm trying to take what I learn and act on it in small ways, as much as I can. However, there are striking inconsistencies. For example, my husband was introducing me yesterday as "somewhat of a health nut" --- while I was eating a huge double-cheeseburger and fries with a cup of ketchup. I use thyme oil to disinfect and soap nuts to wash my clothes, but I print off paper like there's an unlimited supply constantly coming out of my ear. I guess I'm just trying to come to grips with this dissonance. Maybe some of you can help. Because I'm completely fine with it, and I'm loving life!
Here's the deal. I'm kind of just an aspiring weirdo, maybe I just haven't reached full maturity in it yet. Regardless of my developmental progress, I'm enjoying this journey and I'm thankful for those of you that are traveling its bumpy road with me - even with its potholes of inconsistency. So thanks for your love, grace, and support!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

You are radical, you smell funny, and your feminine hygiene is gross!

I wish I were more like you.

I am just kidding. I think you can be confident in the life choices you're making without being worried about people thinking that you're a freak. Also, I think we're all living a life in progress. Sometimes you just have to tackle one part of your life at a time - it doesn't make you inconsistent not to be able to do it all at once.

Keep at it, hottie boom body with the naughty pilates.

Megan Gilmore said...

:) Thanks Sarah!

Evan Gilmore said...

I love my wife. She's awesome. I dunno about these "naughty pilates", though.

Heather & Nathan said...

I think you're doing wonderful! It take time to make huge transitions!

Joni Gilmore said...

Megan, you are so fun and your enthusiasm is contageous. Don't fall into the trap of feeling like you need to conform to anyone's idea of what it means to be different or anything else for that matter. As Bob the tomato says, "God made you special, and he loves you very much." We will never fit a stereotype. But you already know this. As for me, I am now drinking only Coke from Mexico because it is made with sugar, which is MUCH better for you than corn syrup!
HA!

Megan Gilmore said...

Thanks y'all.

Bethany said...

You're going to be one eccentric old lady.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin