Friday, August 7, 2009

Punch Bowl to Planter


So...I have wanted to start planting stuff, but I haven't been able to this week for various reasons. Finally, last night I put my nasturtium seeds in some water to soak. I'm reading this great book Little Herb Gardens: Simple Secrets for Glorious Gardens - Indoors and Out. It gives step by step instructions on what to plant, where to plant, where to get it, when to plant, etc. For advanced gardners it's probably too limited and elementary, but for me it is fantastic!
It told me that I needed a planter that was about a foot deep and over a foot wide. I only had one that fit those dimensions and I was saving it for my lavender plant. Plus, I wanted to plant this
one in my kitchen. We got this four-in-one cake plate/punch bowl/veggie tray/something else for our wedding, but I think we got about three cake plates and punch bowls and veggie trays.

So I turned this one into an herb sorter and planter! I put my dried herbs on the bottom and I'm not planting nasturtiums in the planter. I can't wait til it starts to vine and bloom! I'll take a picture then too.

To plant your nasturtiums (or similar plant) like I did, find a punch bowl and follow these instructions:
  • Soak seeds overnight
  • Line the bottom of bowl or glass planter with a layer of decorative rocks, then with a layer of colored marbles (for water drainage - you can put a layer of charcoal in as well that helps with reducing bacteria)
  • Wet soil until it is moist, set aside 1 cup of soil
  • Sow nasturtium seeds 3 in. apart
  • Cover with set aside soil and lightly pack down
  • Keep soil moist and spray leaves as they emerge
  • Nasturtiums are quick growing and viney with orange blossom (look them up)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Meg, is there any kind of hole in the bottom (top) of your punch bowl? Your gravely stuff looks awesome, and I'm sure it's effective, but the water needs some way to get out - otherwise, the water becomes stagnant and begins to sour your soil, and it also packs it and doesn't allow air inside. Is there a way you know of to drill a hole through the bottom? Or maybe Evan could rig some kind of drainage thing like an indoor fountain...

Maybe if you're just planning on transferring your seedlings later, you could switch out the soil and start over? Then the drainage thing wouldn't be such a big deal.

Just some thoughts. I think your planter looks super cool, so I want your plants to work out, as well. ^_^

Megan Gilmore said...

Yeah, I was concerned about the drainage hole too. I am going to transplant though. And I think that it should be cool, especially if I put some charcoal in the bottom. Like in a terrarium, you know? Have you ever seen those made? They have open ones and closed ones, and regardless, when you put the charcoal in, it keeps your soil from souring. What do you think? Is that bogus or should it work?
I can't drill into glass with the drill we have right now, but we'll see if it works. Thanks for the tips!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin